Providing Customer Service & Agency Efficiency Improvements in Maryland’s Motor Vehicle Administration
The State of Maryland delivers key DMV services to their constituents in under three minutes – less time than it takes to buy a cup of coffee. With a consistent mission to continually improve the customer experience, they sought to optimize their use of technology to not only decongest crowded branch offices and accelerate customer flow, but also improve staff efficiency and accelerate revenue recognition. Processing over 1.8 million transactions annually, the MVA needed to find the most effective way to deliver services, and meet the increasing demands of their customers in the most convenient and efficient way possible. These challenges prompted the exploration of self-service technology to automate and streamline traditionally manual transaction delivery.
When the MVA began looking for a way to streamline standard requests in a convenient, dependable delivery system that would improve the customers’ experience, they turned to ARINC. Already established as experts in the Airport Kiosk industry, ARINC had a proven track record of implementing self-service solutions worldwide. Their new Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) solution, SelfServ™ kiosk, offered more transaction and payment options in a user-friendly design than any other kiosk system on the market. In addition, ARINC’s on-line registration renewal application provided another convenient delivery venue for customers with simple renewal processing requirements. ARINC’s platform combines web, and kiosk technology for the most flexible delivery of services.
The Maryland MVA sought to improve the service experience for their constituents with goals tied to:
- Decreased customer wait times
- Simple, automated transaction delivery for patrons
- Reliable self-service platform to supplement services provided by MVA staff
Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration installed 49 Self-Serv™ delivery platforms in over 23 offices across the state. The kiosks and their website services combine to provide full service, flexible delivery of high-demand transaction services.
Benefits / Results
- 14 of the most popular transactions delivered in a self-service method – 1.8 million automated transactions annually
- 85% reduction in transaction processing time using kiosks vs. the counter, reducing wait times from 20 minutes to just three. 100% reduction with web-based option
- MVA total annual revenues of $144 Million are received significantly quicker through the use of the kiosks therefore accelerating cash flow
- Vast improvement in staff efficiency – MVA agents now focused on more complex service delivery
- Consistently reliable equipment, monitored remotely for proactive maintenance
Download the Maryland MVA / DMV Case Study